Gluten Free Apple & Cinnamon Cake With Raw Chocolate
This recipe was created by my mother during my postpartum period and makes a delicious healthy (ish) treat for the whole family. It is gluten and dairy free and could easily be made vegan. Crispy, gooey, festive and decadent without being too sweat, it also comes together really well.
1 cup coconut oil
1 cup coconut sugar
3 large eggs *
1 cup of gluten free flour
2 level teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 cup of apple sauce
RAW CHOCOLATE TOPPING
1 cup of melted coconut oil
1 cup of cacao powder
2 tbs maple syrup
1 tbs almond milk
1 tsp cinnamon
1 pinch of sea salt
- Firstly cream together the oil and sugar. Take lots of time to ensure they are completely blended with no small lumps of oil. The mixture should be light, fluffy and noticeably paler than at the start.
- Next add the eggs one at a time and whisk in. Take time at each stage to blend the mixture well.
- Whisk in flour one large spoonful at a time followed by the cinnamon and baking powder.
- Grease the baking tin evenly with a little coconut oil and add a small teaspoon of flour to the oiled surface. Tip in all directions to ensure complete tin coverage.
- Spoon half the cake mixture into the tin and gently spread out with the back of a spoon or knife.
- Add smallish spoons of apple on top of the cake mixture. Avoid the edges but cover the interior of the cake.
- Seal the apple in by spooning the rest of the cake mixture onto the apple layer and gently spreading to the edges.
- Bake at 370 degrees for 35 mins. Check tip of cake is soft and springy.
- Remove from oven, leave in the tin for about 5 minutes, then run a knife around the edge of the cake before tipping it onto a cooling rack.
- Once cooled lightly dust a plate with powdered sugar and transfer cake for icing.
- For the chocolate topping mix the coconut oil, cacao powder, maple syrup, almond milk, cinnamon and salt well. The mixture should be soft and creamy.
- Add any more maple syrup to taste. (YUM!)
- Spread the raw chocolate onto the cake with the back of a spoon or knife, covering the top and sides.
- Sprinkle with coconut flakes.
- Leave to harden in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes or until serving!
*Eggs can be replaced with flax eggs to make the cake vegan.